- Treat a burn right away by putting it in cool water. Cool the burn for three to five minutes.
- Cover burn with a clean, dry cloth. Do not apply creams, ointments, sprays or other home remedies.
- Remove all clothing, diapers, jewelry and metal from the burned area. These can hide underlying burns and retain heat, which can increase skin damage.
- If the burn is bigger than your fist or if you have any questions about how to treat it, seek medical attention right away.
- See your doctor as soon as possible if the burn does not heal in two to three days.